The Complete Primary Dictionary
The Complete Primary Dictionary is one of the first completely new English dictionaries of the twenty-first century. Especially written for primary school children, it took more than five years to write and features over 75 000 words, definitions and examples.
Aimed at pupils in Key Stage 2 and above, the dictionary uses clear and simple language to define the different senses, phrases and idioms related to each entry.
Great care has been taken to ensure that definitions include enough specific information for children to fully understand the meaning of the word.
The dictionary defines all senses of the word that are age appropriate, for example the word ‘cell' has five different senses, and clear examples are offered to show children how the words may be used in their own writing.
More than 3000 information panels are included in the dictionary, providing a wealth of additional information to enhance children's appreciation of the English language and improve their general knowledge.
Key features of The Complete Primary Dictionary include:
- Origin panels providing explanations of letter shape origins, word origins and the cultural factors that have shaped the English language.
- Cultural note panels giving fascinating facts about history, traditions and other topics.
- Language extra panels providing information on alternative spellings and word forms, different ways of using a word, grammar and common errors and points to remember.
- Synonym and antonym panels indicating relevant examples of words with the same or oppositemeaning.
- Simile panels highlighting examples of common phrases used to compare one thing to another.
Publisher,SCHOFIELD & SIMS LTD
No. of Pages,